Sometimes it is not possible to complete a task as scheduled and it needs to be split into two or more parts. Aspose.Tasks for C++ API supports this Microsoft Project feature.
The SplitParts property exposed by the Task class is used to determine the split parts of a task whereas SplitTask method exposed by the ResourceAssignment class is used to split a single task into multiple parts. SplitParts returns a collection of split parts whereas SplitTask method accepts start date, finish date and calendar arguments to split the task.
Splitting and Viewing Tasks in Microsoft Project
To split a task in Microsoft Project:
- Identify a long task and you want to divide.
- On the Task menu, select the Schedule group and click Split Task.
- Click at the position you want to split the task.
To see split tasks in Microsoft Project one can select Gantt Chart on the View menu. Split tasks are linked by a dotted line.
Creating and Splitting Task
To create and split a task, follow these steps:
- Create a new project.
- Create and assign a new calendar for the project.
- Create and add a new task in the project.
- Create and add a new resource assignment in the project.
- Use the SplitTask method exposed by the ResourceAssignment class to split the task.
- Write the new project to the disk.
The following code shows how to accomplish these tasks:
Viewing Split Tasks with Aspose.Tasks
The following example shows how to identify split tasks and printing their details to a console window.
Calculating a Split Task’s Finish Date
The following code example calculates finish date for a split task.